Pet parents want to keep their furry loved ones safe in every situation. The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) recently released a Pet Fire Safety tip sheet with advice on how to prevent pet-related fires.
According to NFPA, pets and wild animals play a part in starting 700 household fires each year. Roughly 75% of these fires are started by cooking equipment, fireplaces or chimneys, lighting or candles. In the event of a fire, NFPA also recommends including pets in fire evacuation plans.
Read below and click through to see all of NFPA's tips to prevent and keep pets safe from household fires.
Keep pets away from stoves and counter tops.
Pets are curious. They may bump into, turn on or knock over cooking equipment.
Keep pets away from candles, lamps and space heaters.
Consider battery-operated, flameless candles. They can look and smell like real candles.
Protect pets from fireplaces.
Always use a metal or heat-tempered glass screen on a fireplace and keep it in place.
Keep pets away from a chimney's outside vents.
Have a "pet-free zone" of at least 3 feet away from the fireplace. Glass doors and screens can stay dangerously hot for several hours after the fire goes out.
Watch out for electrical cords.
Some pets are chewers. Watch pets to make sure they don't chew through electrical cords. Have any problems checked by a professional.
Have working smoke alarms on every level of a home.
Test smoke alarms at least once a month. If the alarm sounds, get out and stay out. Never go back inside for pets in a fire. Tell firefighters if your pet is trapped.